It’s that time again…time for another rambling blog post where I have no set agenda: just me banging away at the keyboard with a couple of items I have been thinking about plus whatever comes to mind. If you would like to write to me, my email address is michael at fkbooksandtips dot com (I type it out that way in a small effort to try and thwart the spammers).
The Spring Break Trip
Many of you participated and helped fund my daughter’s spring break trip to Washington, DC and New York City last week (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, you can click here or type in http://bit.ly/NEzWll into your web browser to read the post about their collaborative efforts in writing their first Kindle book).
The group from school left last Tuesday and returned around 10:00 last night: they had a great time! I didn’t get too much of an update from her after she arrived home as it was late and a school night, but they made lots of memories and saw lots of sites. I had a few pictures emailed to my wife and I from her phone, but they were pretty blurry. I will try to post some pictures this weekend so you can see some of the sites she and her friends saw from the camera (vs. the phone), but I know they each made some memories that will last them a lifetime. On behalf of my wife and I, we appreciate each of you who helped make it possible!
I asked her what the high point of the trip was, and I really didn’t get a clear answer as there were at least ten things that were “just awesome!” When I asked her what the most disappointing thing was, it was a tie between the cancellation of all of the White House tours due to the political grandstanding that continues and the fact the snow that was falling in NYC on Saturday didn’t stick to the ground (kids from the Houston area rarely, if ever, get to see snow).
She and the trip chaperone who brought her home last night are pretty tired as they were going non-stop!
Free Book Listings
I’ve posted about this a couple of times, but I have received several questions from readers consisting of “where are the free book offers and what changed?”
Let me clear up a few things:
- I will continue to post about free books!
- The free book offers will continue to be from non-Amazon sites!
- The free book offers will continue to be from Amazon, but not just as many as I used to do!
- The blog’s content is NOT changing to a 100% paid model!
- I will continue to tell you about tips to improve your Kindle experience!
I have been watching the free book download to paid download ratio daily – almost obsessively – and while the Amazon reporting system still has a long way to go, I am below the 80% threshold. Just barely.
While I have taken out all of the affiliate codes I could on my old free book lists to Amazon, lots of you are still hitting the freebies from Amazon. That’s not surprising given the cookie’s longevity, but I am watching it carefully. However, did you notice how I slipped in an Amazon freebie not that long ago in one of the posts that led off with some 99 cent offers?
Unfortunately, I can’t make things change back to the way they were but I would like to encourage you to do a few things:
- Check out the books I’m telling you about from the independent authors: most of them are discounting their books for the day of, and several days after, I mention them on the blog. I think you will find some jewels out there as well as a stinker or two. However, my personal opinion is 99 cents or a couple of bucks is not too much of a price to pay if you think about the per hour entertainment value we all receive.
- If you’re not too sure about purchasing one of the books, I can understand as sometimes I am, too. That’s why I try out the free Kindle sample on a lot of books before I purchase them. Don’t know what I’m talking about with the free Kindle sample? You can click here or type in http://bit.ly/YCJWjw into your web browser to read a recent post I had about the sample option.
- Read each post carefully! Why? As I continue to monitor the 80% threshold I will continue to tell you about free Kindle book offers on the Amazon website.
- For the free Kindle book offers I tell you about on sites other than Amazon, give them a look and a chance: there are many other platforms for your Kindle entertainment value than Amazon!
Okay, enough of my soapbox on that topic (at least for now)….
The Blog’s eMail Delivery Option
I am still receiving questions from folks who aren’t receiving the blog’s email subscription. The new email service I am using required each email address I imported over to re-confirm their email subscriptions. If you didn’t re-confirm, or you would like to sign up for the email delivery option that is ok. You can click here or type in http://bit.ly/WRWMjx into your web browser to see the post with instructions on how to do it. It’s free, and takes about 10 seconds to complete.
On The Road Again
I was out of town for most of last week for spring break, and will be hitting the road again tomorrow for work. If you email me, it may take me a few days after I return to reply…have a great rest of your week!
Want to have this blog sent wirelessly to your e-Ink Kindle vs. reading it on your computer? Try out the free two-week trial subscription! Click here for the Amazon page of the Free Kindle Books and Tips blog or type in http://smarturl.it/fkblog into your web browser.
Are you receiving the blog’s posts by email? You can if you click here or type in http://www.fkbooksandtips.com/subscribe into your web browser – just fill in your email address, smack the “Subscribe” button, and make sure you reply to the confirmation email!