It’s a little of this, and a little of that: another rambling blog post where I have no outline or set agenda before I start banging away at the keyboard…mainly, I wanted to tell you about a few things related to the blog.
I don’t know about you, but it seems to have been a hectic last couple of weeks…not as hectic as one of my co-workers who was stranded on the Carnival cruise ship that finally docked last night (I thought of getting my co-worker a box of Depends as a “welcome back” gift, but seeing as she works in HR that may not be considered appropriate!). However, with my day job and trying to be a husband and father, homework checker, fix-it around the house guy, and carpooler I’m tired! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so it should be getting better soon.
That being said, I am way behind on replying to your email questions. I should be able to slug through a bunch of them over the weekend! If you would like to write to me, my email address is michael at fkbooksandtips dot com (I type it out that way in a small effort to try and thwart the spammers).
Kindle Books for a Buck (or Less) Blog
If you subscribed or followed the Kindle Books for a Buck (or Less) blog, you already know this so feel free to skip to the next section.
After a little over a year and a half, I stopped publishing to that blog this past week. You can read the reasons why in the final post I did if you click here or type in http://bit.ly/WvU2om into your web browser. It’s rather long, and gives you a little bit of the economics of the blog and eBook publishing world, but I thought some of you data nuts (like I am) would be interested behind the rationale.
After posting that last entry, I had a few people contact me and wondering if I was bitter? Not at all: I learned a heck of a lot about the eBook publishing business, made some good friendships over email with several independent authors, and picked up a lot of good books (and a few stinkers).
While I may have stopped publishing to that blog, I am not taking the site down: there are a lot of good book recommendations on that blog. If you’re looking for a good (and cheap) read, I encourage you to take a look at the prior posts: even one of Stephen King’s books is available for 99 cents!
Also, this decision does not change the publishing of this blog or my other five blogs – they will still be published!
The Blog’s Free Reader App
There are a lot of you are reading the blog on the free reader app for the Kindle Fire or your Android-enabled smartphone / tablet computer. A very small minority of you have been receiving a black screen, with no content, over the last couple of weeks and have been unable to see the content.
It’s almost a year since I introduced that app for free, so to coincide with the one year anniversary and the 500,000th download of it I have commissioned a “re-do” of the look and feel of the app which should be available soon.
So, what will be new in the app? It’s not going to be drastic:
- A link to the blog’s page where I have permanent links to the free Kindle books on the Amazon website by genre (click here or type in http://www.fkbooksandtips.com/free-book-links/ into your web browser to see it). That way, as I make changes or additions to this page you can see them plus it gives you an alternative to the daily posts in case you don’t see anything you care for on a particular day.
- A link to signup for the email delivery option of the blog posts. On a side note, I haven’t been too happy with the email software I’ve been using for delivery of the posts as it seems to have “peaked” and rarely allows new subscribers. I’ll be transitioning that soon, so stay tuned for a future update.
- A link to visit the blog’s Facebook page. I realize some of you don’t “do” Facebook and I understand, but the majority of the readers do – this way, people can see the interaction going on the blog’s Facebook page which includes posts by independent authors telling you about their free books. You can see the blog’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/fkbooks
If you would like to get your free copy of the blog’s app for the Kindle Fire and your Android-enabled smartphone / tablet computer you can download a copy (for free of course) from these two places:
- Amazon app store: click here or type in http://smarturl.it/fkbtfreeapp into your web browser.
- Google Play store: click here or type in http://bit.ly/fkbtgoogle into your web browser.
What is an e-Ink Kindle?
A frequent question I receive is “what is an e-Ink Kindle?” The short answer is it is any Kindle that does not have the word “Fire” in it!
Smart URL Links
Some people have asked me what the smarturl.it links are all about and what they do. The simple answer is they are primarily for the benefit of the people who are reading the blog on their e-Ink Kindle via the subscription model: a lot of the times the Internet service available on the Kindle may (or may not) allow them to click a link in a blog post and get one of the free book offers. This way, they can jump on their computer, enter the link, and grab the book.
The links are also designed to allow those of you who do not live in the USA to take advantage of the free book offers, also – regardless of what type of Kindle you have. I’ve set each smarturl.it link up to point to the free Kindle book offering in the Amazon-specific USA, UKS, Canada, France, and Italy websites.
If you would like to try the blog’s email delivery directly to your e-Ink Kindle, you can check out the free two week subscription by clicking here or pointing your web browser to http://smarturl.it/fkblog
That’s really all I had for now – I hope each of you have a great weekend!