Phoenix Publishing offers one free eBook each month in a variety of eBook formats, including the Kindle; I’ve picked up a couple of really good science fiction novels from them for free that they simultaneously have for sale in the Amazon Kindle store for prices up to $9.99. This month’s free pick is Starborne, by Robert Silverberg, which you should be pleased to note while this book costs $5.99 in the Amazon Kindle website, you can get it for free if you follow the instructions below.
You can pick up your free copy if you follow these instructions:
- Point your web browser to http://smarturl.it/ppick
- Scroll down just a little bit and click on the “ADD TO CART” icon immediately to the right of the book’s cover.
- Your computer will next open up a new web browser, leading you to a checkout page. Change the price underneath the “Amount” column to 0.00, as this is a pay-what-you-want offering.
- Click the “Update Cart” icon.
- Click the “Checkout” icon.
- Enter your name and email address. You have the option of signing up for their free eBook newsletter. That’s your choice (I obviously signed up), and you do not have to sign up in order to receive the free eBook.
- Make your choice and click the “Complete Free Checkout” icon.
- At the next screen, choose and click the “MOBI” version of “Click here to download”as that is the one compatible with your Kindle.
- You will next have the option of opening or saving the file. Let’s choose “save” and make sure you save it to a location on your computer you will remember.
- As a final step, you will need to transfer the eBook from your computer to your Kindle: that’s a fairly easy process. If you don’t know how to do that, you can click here or type in http://smarturl.it/xfer into your web browser to read my free guide on how to transfer content to your computer. This is the same guide I charge 99 cents for in the Amazon Kindle store, but you get it for free!
Here is the book’s description:
It promises to be the greatest voyage of exploration in human history.
From the stagnant, placid society of twenty-third-century Earth comes an idea so powerful that it seizes the imagination of all humankind. A starship will be sent deep into the unknown galaxy in search of habitable worlds, with the hope that the challenge of colonization will somehow rekindle the dying human spirit.
Fifty men and women are chosen to crew the Wotan, each nursing his or her own secret dreams and fears. Their leader is the stoic year-captain, drawn to the dangerous mission by his lifelong quest for meaning.
The single most important member of the crew is the blind Noelle, whose telepathic link with her blind twin sister on Earth provides the Wotan’s only contact with Earth as it speeds through the pearl-gray twilight of unfathomable nospace.
The worlds that the Wotan encounters are both strange and inhospitable, and with each disappointment its mission seems more and more hopeless. Then Noelle’s mind-link with Earth is inexplicably broken, and the crew begin to despair, fearing they’ve been condemned to wander alone through the vastness of space forever, cut off from any contact with humankind.
But when Noelle unexpectedly senses a massive alien presence in the vast vacuum of deepest space, the crew suddenly realize that their every assumption about life and the universe may prove dead wrong.
Looking for more – or a more reliable – source of free books for your Kindle? You can check out my book, Free Kindle Books and How to Find Them, if you click here or type in http://smarturl.it/fkb into your web browser!